Keen to up your veggie gardening game, but still not completely sure about a whole lot of things? Warrah Biodynamic Farm is hosting a series of hands on workshops on the full cycle of backyard vegetable growing. The course consists of four workshops – one for each season. You can do just one or sign up for the full series! Each workshop will have a maximum of 15 participants. For details on all workshop see here. The workshop facilitator is Rob Greatholder, who was Warrah’s Farm Manager for 6 years before moving into his current role co-ordinating Warrah’s social therapeutic horticulture programs. Rob has been farming and gardening for the last 15 years and has a Diploma of Biodynamic Agriculture from the UK. He has worked in different parts of the world, on broad acre biodynamic farms and market gardens, to 1 acre no-dig permaculture models and off-grid community reforestation projects. He is also an experienced guest speaker on horticulture.
Workshop 1 will cover:
- Farm walk – what is growing where at this time of year?
- Propagation and nursery skills for spring seedlings: seed selection, propagation materials, making your own seed raising mix, sowing seeds, care and maintenance of seedlings, when and how to plant, differences between direct sowing and transplanting.
- Creating a growing space: taking a bed from grass to workable using both dig and no dig methods, tools required, resources required, irrigation, basic soil and ph. Testing.
- Each participant will take home:
- propagation and planting charts (what to sow when, spacing, weeks to harvest, etc.) and a brief introduction to biodynamics.
- Seedling trays sown on the day for your spring garden. We will also supply some seasonal seedlings for you to start with right away.
What to bring:
Suitable boots, clothes, gloves and lunch. We will provide the tools and material required for the workshop.
Date: Saturday 29 August 2020* from 9am – 3pm (includes a 1 hour break for lunch. Bring your own food and we will supply a fresh salad just picked from the farm).
Venue: Warrah Bioydnamic Farm (20 Harris Road, Dural)
Cost: $100 for Workshop 1 and $75 for each of the other workshops (or $260 upfront for the full workshop series)
More information and bookings:
Contact Debbie Tschepen Phone: 9651 3869
Website: www.warrahfarmshop.org.au/upcoming-events * Date subject to change in inclement weather